It's funny what will & won't spark people's interest. Apparently many of you are out there feeling all kindsa hair angst. You're wishing folks would stop assuming you're hair is barely there 'cuz you wear a weave or that you enjoy Eric Benet because you rock a fro. Well, when I sat down to pen that India Arie moment--& note how iCringe at even identifying with her right now--I didn't want to bore you with my tirade. But since you rocked wit'me hard on it, lemme gon' & finish it so it can forever be shelved
Yes, my hair is natural but can you spare me the assumption that:
1. ...I am gay. Nothing could be further than the truth. Except that I am transgender. Which gave me the giggles. Chaz Bono I am not. I LOVE MEN!! & even when I can't stand a man, I adore his ability to still make me wanna do things that shame the Devil. I assume the Devil has no shame which makes this concept that much more whorendous. We're all out here doin' what we gotta do, with who we like, & that ain't women. No
2. ...I rock crochet. Screeeeeeeeeeech!! Halt! No! Even when I had locs, it was my commitment & my duty to make sure I never went near any head gear that was knit or crochet so as not to be lumped in further with ass. umptions. 'bout who I am. I do, however, wish to learn to crochet. & then you have to fight with your assumptions about who I am as I rock the baddest form fitting yarn-made dress EVER over all this... You get the point.
3. ...I have a pit-fro. Color me salty. I have never shaved my legs. I've never arched an eyebrow. I just got into landscaping on the love below in the last couple of years. I'm a firm believer that hair grows where it's supposed to. EXCEPT armpits. For the life of me I can't even figure out what purpose this hair serves. It's disrespectful to tank tops, spaghetti straps & strapless dresses, sexy time, & Life itself.
4. ...I live to a Neo-Soul soundtrack. Negatory. I AM Hip Hop. I only know 1 other woman mo' serious about Hip Hop than me. That's not to say they don't exist, but I'on't know 'em. You will easily find me listening to everyone from MC Shan to the Wu & all its factions to Phil Ade (DMV shout out). My male die-hard friends are always impressed with what they find in the collection. I would sooner let Della Reese (RIP) shoot me in my pinky toe than to go to an India Arie concert. I'm actually breaking out in hives for having used her name twice in 1 day, 1 blog, 1 lifetime. #B-girlForLife
5. I smell like juices and berries. Enhh... I drink juice. Love it. I eat berries. Delicioso. I do not actually know where these juice & berry concoctions are made or sold to folks who also once owned "Happy I'm Nappy" t-shirts. Frankly, if I did know, I'm not sure I'd buy. See, juice & berries are sticky. Sticky things attract ants. Ants attract anteaters. Anteaters attract lions. & lions attract maulings. No bueno. By the way, I actually smell like variations on vanilla & coconut. Mmmmm...
Me thinks 5 more things is enough. It just seemed summa y'all were clamoring to learn a lil more about me. & while I'm revealing, I also love turkey pastrami, black nail polish, 5 star restaurants, luxury automobiles, & the dude Drake. I own nothing made from hemp, have never nursed a baby, have friends with relaxers, & occasionally buy clothes from the mall. I'm a sneaker freak, don't drive a hybrid
Narrative: there's more to all of us than meets the eye. Courage is taking the time to see past that, being respectful of one another even when we disagree, & understanding there's room out here for it ALL. Your way ain't got to be my way. Make room for one another &...
Watch me move.
Post Script- I too am guilty of assumptions, but I'm tryna unlearn that behavior. Each year of my life helps me to put aside more & more of my preconceived notions about this & that. Now instead of simply accepting that we're all different, I embrace those differences. They make my life spicy & add a GREAT DEAL of laughter to my days.
What ass. umptions. have been made about you?